Granite is a common type of intrusive, felsic, igneous rock which is granular and phaneritic in texture. This rock consists mainly of quartz, mica, and feldspar. Occasionally some individual crystals (phenocrysts) are larger than the groundmass, in which case the texture is known as porphyritic. A granitic rock with a porphyritic texture is sometimes known as a porphyry. Granites can be pink to gray in color, depending on their chemistry and mineralogy. By definition, granite is an igneous rock with at least 20% quartz by volume. Granite differs from granodiorite in that at least 35% of the feldspar in granite is alkali feldspar as opposed to plagioclase; it is the alkali feldspar that gives many granites a distinctive pink color. Outcrops of granite tend to form tors and rounded massifs. Granites sometimes occur in circular depressions surrounded by a range of hills, formed by the metamorphic aureole or hornfels. Granite is usually found in the continental plates of the Earth’s crust.
Granite is nearly always massive (lacking internal structures), hard and tough, and therefore it has gained widespread use as a construction stone. The average density of granite is between 2.65 and 2.75 g/cm3, its compressive strength usually lies above 200 MPa, and its viscosity near STP is 3-6 • 1019 Pa·s. Melting temperature is 1215 – 1260 °C. The word “granite” comes from the Latin granum, a grain, in reference to the coarse-grained structure of such a crystalline rock. Granitoid is a general, descriptive field term for light-colored, coarse-grained igneous rocks. Petrographic examination is required for identification of specific types of granitoids.
Granite is commonly used for countertops, flooring, pavers, and feature walls. Granite countertops can be found in hundreds of colors, sizes, textures and can be hand selected at Aeon Stone and Tile in Vancouver to get the countertops you need. These stone are formed after millions of years of formation and are the oldest know building materials know to men. This makes granite countertops the more ancient, the most elegant, sustainable and green product out there. Granite countertops or even granite for flooring is considered to be very expensive building product but in reality there are different price ranges of granite slabs or tiles available and we at Aeon Stone and Tile can help you select the best material for your project.
Uses for Granite
- Granite countertops for kitchen and bathrooms, bar, desks, dining table
- Interior and exterior flooring tiles and pavers
- Granite Floors and walls
- Exterior building facades
- Granite sinks
- Granite stairs
Finishes available for Granite
Polished Granite countertops in slabs and tiles: During production, a facet is put on each crystal at a microscopic level– much as a jeweler would facet a diamond. The resulting smooth surface allows light to refract in and out of the stone in a parallel way. This enhances the visible sheen and gives the appearance of depth.
Honed Granite: A smooth, non-reflective finish achieved by using acid to grind the surface (available by special order only).
Flamed Granite (Thermal): A rough surface created by applying a direct flame source, such as a blowtorch, and burning off portions of the surface minerals. surface (available by special order only).
Brushed Granite slabs or Leathered Granite slabs: Brushed or leathered finishes for granite countertops or granite tiles, which are also known as antiqued finish, are created by gently brushing the granite’s surface which develops a aged look throughout the stone. Granite is made of different minerals and depending on the strength of each mineral after the brushing process the stone creates a varied texture giving a feel of leather finish. This brushed finish gives your countertops the dramatic and wow look as it looks and feels very different than traditional finishes.
These are some of the commonly used finishes. But as granite is so unique and hard there is several other finishes that can be made available upon request. Please contact our profession sales staff at our Vancouver location to get more information.
Available Sizes of Granite in tiles or slabs
- Tiles 12 x 12
- Tiles 12 x 24
- Tiles 24 x 24
- Tiles 16 x 16
- Tiles 18 x 18
- Granite in 2cm slabs or ¾” and Granite slabs in 3cm or 1 ¼” is available to hand select at our Vancouver location, but we also serve clients from Burnaby, Vancouver, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Surrey. Richmond, Whistler, Squamish, Penticton, Vancouver Island, Victoria, Nanaimo. Please visit us at 117 West 5th Avenue, Vancouver, BC or call us at 604 872 8444.
- Different sizes available on special orders, with minimum quantity
Color variations enhance the natural beauty of the stone. Inspect multiple samples before selection to ensure satisfaction with colors and patterns. Granite is the hardest stone and when measured, it ranges from 8-9 on the MOHS scale only next to diamond with 10 on the MOHS scale, this makes granite scratchproof.
Maintaining/Cleaning your Granite Countertops or Tiles
- Do clean with a dust mop and neutral cleaner to remove most dirt.
- Do use a water based penetrating sealer to prevent staining. Because many stones are porous to some degree, excessive water may cause reactions. “Special Impregnating” sealers are recommended to avoid few problems. Aeon Stone + Tile representatives can recommend appropriate sealers.
- Do clean natural stones with “special stone cleaners”, “pH balanced cleaners” or “neutral base cleaners.”
- Do not clean any natural stone with acidic cleaners, including (but not limited to) vinegar or cleaners with “lemon” or “lime” on the label. These products will abrade the polish from the stone. Sealers DO NOT protect polished surfaces from these types of cleaners.
- Aeon Stone & Tile carries different sealers and stone cleaners and can be available to our customers. We service Vancouver, Vancouver downtown, West Vancouver, Vancouver west side, Vancouver East side, North Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, New Westminster, Surrey, Langley, Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Kelowna, Whistler, Squamish, Penticton, Kamloops, Okanagan region, Victoria, Nanaimo, Vancouver Island for our Slabs, Countertops, Tiles, Pavers, Exterior stone, Landscape stone, Stone, Mosaics, Stone Mosaics, Glass Mosaics, cladding, fireplace stone, etc.